When you find yourself wanting to make a quick dinner using ingredients that are most probably already in your fridge-this is a great option. Quick, easy, made in one pot, very versatile, and delicious!
- 1 large chicken breast, cut into small cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 sticks of celery, chopped
- 6-8 cloves of garlic, minced
- Handful of parsley, chopped
- 1-2 cups of green peas
- 1 stick of butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 16 ounce box of noodles
- 4 cups of water-plus additional water as needed
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2-4 tablespoons of heavy cream
- Melt 1/2 stick of butter in a large pot or pan with high sides-I use a wok style pan but one with a heavier bottom. Add in chicken and cook quickly on high heat.
- Remove chicken and in the same pan add the rest of the butter and add the onion, garlic, celery, carrot, and parsley. cook for about 10 minutes until it develops some color. Season with salt and pepper
- Add in your box of pasta and mix to let it get a little toasted in the butter. Then pour in 4 cups of water. Let this come to a simmer and cook down while mixing gently. You may need to add more water if the noodle is not yet tender.
- After about 15 minutes add in the green peas
- Mix together 1/4 cup of flour with 1/4 cup of water and pour into the pot
- Add more water to the pot if necessary
- Cook for an additional 5 minutes. Then add back in your cooked chicken.
- Finally pour in some heavy cream and taste. Add additional salt and pepper if needed
The best part about this dish is that you can substitute so many of the ingredients depending on what you have. I used leftover chicken from the day before and green onions instead of regular onions because I ran out!