Chocolate banana bread batter with chocolate chips makes an extra moist and delicious double chocolate banana bread!
Ever since having kids I try to have a homemade baked good available for munching at home. My go to are muffins but recently my son has been asking for pumpkin breads and banana breads from Starbucks so I decided to make our own loaf at home.
I’ve made banana bread with chocolate chips before so today we wanted to try something different. A chocolate batter seemed just the thing!
Like all banana breads, start by mashing two large ripe bananas. I had my son do this while I prepared the rest of the ingredients!
In a separate bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. I only had dark cocoa on hand so that’s what I used. It doesn’t affect the flavor, but the overall loaf comes out darker.
When the bananas are smooth (use a whisk to really get out all the lumps) add sugar, 2 room temperature eggs, melted butter, oil, and vanilla extract. Whisk till combined.
Now pour the dry ingredients into the wet and gently combine. Once it’s about 90% mixed-there should still be some dry flour-add mini chocolate chips. I generally prefer using mini chocolate chips in my baking because I prefer it not to be so sweet so small pieces of sweet chocolate chips are perfect for us. Feel free to use regular chocolate chips or even a chopped up chocolate bar.
Continue mixing until fully combine but be careful not to over mix. Then butter or spray a 9×5 loaf pan and pour the banana bread batter in.
Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the loaf to cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes before removing or it may fall apart! Slice with a serrated knife and enjoy warm with a cup of milk or tea or even alone!
- 2 large ripe bananas
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350° and spray a 9×5” loaf pan with nonstick spray or rub with butter
2. In a large bowl mash bananas until smooth. Then add sugar, eggs, melted butter, olive oil, and vanilla extract
3. In a separate bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk well until lump free
4. Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix gently. Once almost completely mixed, add chocolate chips. Finish mixing
5. Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean