This quick 4 ingredient thumbprint cookie uses the simplest ingredients to make the most delicious and festive cookie! Just butter, sugar, vanilla, and flour combined without any special tools will give you such a beautiful cookie that’s ready to fill with whatever jam or curd you like.
Because of how simple these cookies are , they’re a great options to make with the family, kids, or even friends! They also package beautifully and make wonderful gifts.
To make the cookies, start by combining room temperature butter, sugar, and vanilla extract in a bowl. Whisk together until fluffy
Next add flour. It will seem like a lot of flour and the dough will likely be dry at first. Don’t worry! Just mix and knead by hand until it comes together and there are no dry flour pockets left.
Now use a small scoop to get even sized chunks of cookie dough and lay on a parchment lined cookie sheet or baking tray. Once you have all your cookie chunks, roll them one by one in your hands until they are smooth.
Now cut a small piece of parchement paper and place on top of a cookie ball. Use any kitchen item with a smooth, flat bottom-like a cup, glass, or measuring cup, and push down firmly to spread the cookie into a disc shape. The parchment paper is to prevent the cookie from sticking to the glass.
Press down in the center of the cookie with your thumb to make a circular indent for filling. Then scoop a little filling into it. Here you can be as creative as you like! Traditional options are jams such as strawberry or blueberry. Other delicious options are lemon curd or dulce de leche!
Place your tray of cookies into a preheated oven at 375 for 15 minutes. Then remove from the oven and cool before enjoying!
- 1 cup salted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup jam or filling of choice
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Then line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside
2. In a bowl, cream together butter, sugar, and vanilla extract until fluffy
3. Add flour and mix by hand until completely incorporated and a dough forms
4. Use a small cookie scoop to make cookies and place on parchment paper
5. Roll each cookie between your hands to smooth
6. Place a small piece of parchment paper on top of each cookie, then press down with the bottom of a glass to make an even disc shape
7. Remove parchment pallet and press the middle of the cookie with your thumb to make an indent in the center. Fill with a jam, curd, or filling of choice*
8. Bake cookies in the preheated oven for 15 minutes or until the edges just start to turn golden.
9. Remove cookies from oven and cool before serving*
*You can add more jam to the center after the cookies are baked if you like!