This cake is simple to put together and tastes like a delicious Madeleine cookie-in a cake form! The ingredients are the same ones found in a regular vanilla cake, except with the additions of almond flour and extract.
The ingredients to make this delicious cake are:
- Almond flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Sour cream
- Vanilla extract
- Almond extract
Start by creaming together butter and sugar until it reaches a fluffy consistency-about 5 minutes.
In the meantime, sift together flours, baking soda, and baking powder.
Once the butter and sugar are the right consistency, add in eggs one at a time, mixing thoroughly in between. Be sure to scrape the bowl throughout the mixing.
Once the eggs are incorporated, add in the flour in three batches, mixing for a few seconds in between.
Then, mix together sour cream, oil, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Pour this mixture into the batter and gently mix until fully incorporated.
Pour the dough into a prepared 9×9” cake pan-I like to use a square pan but circle will work fine too. Bake in a preheated oven at 325° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
To make the Earl grey whipped cream frosting, start by warming half a cup of heavy cream in a pot in the stovetop with an Earl grey tea bag. Warm until it just starts to heat through without bringing it to a simmer.
Let the Earl grey steel in the cream and cool completely. Store in the fridge covered until cold.
Combine Earl grey cream along with a cup of fresh heavy cream and whip until soft peaks form.
Once you’ve reached soft peaks, add a little bit of instant vanilla pudding and powdered sugar. Continue whipping until stiff peaks form. Be careful not to over whip. The the instant pudding will help keep the frosting stable.
An optional ingredient is adding a drop of purple food color to achieve a lilac color.
Spread frosting over cooled cake and decorate with fresh or frozen berries.
- 6 tbsp softened salted butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Earl Grey Cream Frosting
- 1.5 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 Earl grey tea bag
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp instant vanilla pudding mix
1. Preheat oven to 325°
2. Cream together butter and sugar until fluffy, about five minutes
3. Add in an egg, mix, then add second egg and mix
4. Sift together flours, baking powder, and baking soda. Add to butter mixture in three batches, mixing in between
5. Mix together sour cream, oil, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Add to batter and combine gently
6. Pour batter into a prepared 9×9 cake pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean
For the Earl Grey Cream Frosting
1. Heat 1/2 cup heavy cream with Earl grey tea bag until just warmed. Infuse and cool in the fridge, covered
2. Combine cooled Earl grey cream with another cup of heavy cream and whip until soft peaks form
3. Add instant pudding mix and powdered sugar and continue to whip until stiff peaks form-this will happen very quickly
Optional-add a drop of purple food color for a lilac colored cream