This is the recipe that I’m always asked for whenever I make it!
This fried fish is light and crunchy on the outside and very tender on the inside. It’s the perfect recipe for fish tacos but can also be used in deferent ways-like fish and chip night!
The key to creating a crunchy fried fish is all in the batter. My secret ingredients are a mixture of self rising flour and rice flour! The rice flour is interchangeable with corn starch-both work very well.
I serve these fresh on warm tortillas with sour cream, coleslaw mix, jalapeño crema, and cilantro.
You can also make a fun build your own taco station like this!
- 5 tilapia fillets, cut into four pieces each
- 1 cup self rising flour
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp parsley flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1.5 cups cold water
- Oil to fry
1. Heat oil in a pan on medium high
2. Mix all the dry ingredients today, then add water and mix till it reaches a batter consistency. Make sure it is thick enough to coat the fish pieces
3. Add in fish and mix.
4. Fry fish in heated oil in batches for 2-3 minutes each side or until outside is golden and inside is cooked through
5. Remove fish from pan and let it drain on a rack with paper towels underneath
6. To assemble tacos, heat a tortilla then spread on sour cream or Mayo and add coleslaw mix, fish, jalapeño crema,* cilantro, and anything else you’d like.
*To make jalapeño cream simple blend together a whole jalapeño with the stem removed with sour cream, lemon juice, cilantro, and a pinch of salt.
One response to “Crispy Crunchy Fried Fish”
[…] you’ve seen my original fried fish recipe, you know how simple it is! I use a few key ingredients to make a light and crispy fish such as a […]