If caramelized onions are a question the answer is always yes. They take time to make but add so much depth and flavor to any dish to use it in.
I’m not sure if the star in this steak and caramelized onion sandwich is the steak or the onions-but they definitely go very well together!
Here’s a video recipe on how to make Steak and Caramelized Onion Sandwiches
- 1 lb thinly cut steak
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 medium onions, sliced against the grain
- 1 tbsp salt
- French bread loaf
- 4 tbsp butter
- Salt and black pepper
- Cheese slices (provolone, Swiss, cheddar, etc)
- Optional but recommended-jalapeños and greens such as lettuce of spring mix
1. Heat up oil in a large pan and add sliced onions and salt. Cover and cook on low heat until onions are golden and caramelized-about 30 minutes. Make sure to check every 5-10 minutes and stir in between to prevent burning
2. While onions are cooking, mix baking soda with the thinly sliced beef and let it sit for 10 minutes. Then rinse off
3. Heat up a heavy bottom skillet on very high heat. Spray a small amount of oil and spread on the drained beef.
4. Let beef sit for a minute without moving around so it develops color. Then season with salt black pepper and mix around till evenly cooked.
5. Remove from heat and melt butter in the same pan. Then add sliced French bread and fry till crispy
6. Assemble sandwich by spreading on mayonnaise, beef, caramelized onions, cheese, and any other toppings of choice