A simple yet robust gravy where caramelized onions are the star!
This onion gravy is so flavorful it’s hard to believe it’s made with just 4 ingredients
I serve it over warm rustic meatballs and creamy mashed potatoes. It can be used in so many ways like roasts, sandwiches, and over any protein.
Some of the best foods have the simplest ingredients-because that allows the flavors to sing! This is one of those dishes. The only ingredients are butter, onion, flour, and stock. Of course you always season with salt and black pepper. I believe even my simplest foods have a unique flavor because of freshly cracked black peppercorns.
To start, caramelized your small diced onions in butter until it develops some color and gets caramelized. Don’t rush this step! It will help give it a deeper flavor.
After the onions are ready, add in an equal amount to flour to butter. Cook this for 1-2 minutes to cook off the raw flavor of the flour. This is a roux-it will help thicken the gravy.
Then add broth while stirring constantly to prevent lumps. Let your gravy simmer on medium heat until it reaches the consistency you prefer. If you like it thicker, cook it longer! If you prefer a thinner gravy, add more liquid.
This recipe is vegetarian, but you can change the vegetable broth to chicken or beef stock for an even more robust flavor.
Smother whatever you’re eating for dinner in this delicious creamy onion gravy to enjoy it even more!
- 1 large onions, diced small
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 4 cups vegetable broth
1. Melt butter in a skillet on medium heat, then add finely diced onion
2. Sauté gently, mixing every few minutes so the onions don’t burn
3. Once onions are golden, add flour and stir. Cook for 2 minutes
4. Pour in stock slowly while mixing vigorously. Continue mixing to prevent any lumps
5. Simmer for a few minutes or until sauce reaches your desired consistency, then remove from heat. It will thicken more as it cools
6. Serve warm with whatever you like, I love having it smothered over my rustic meatballs!