This is a super simple recipe made for a lemon cream pie filling using only 3 ingredients!! Salt doesn’t count as an ingredient…right?
I have been on the hunt for a good lemon pie but a simple version. My first thought was to make lemon meringue pie but every recipe that I’ve seen for them are pretty complicated. Because I was making four types of mini pies at once for a Harry Potter party, I was looking for something simple and quick. That’s where this pie comes in.
I did end up making these for the party and they were a hit! One guest even said she’s had lemon pies as a treat since she was a little girl and this was one the best she’s ever had.
The ingredients are just condensed milk (yum), egg yolks, lemon, and a pinch of salt for balance.
The condensed milk is the base of this pie. the egg yolks help thicken and set the pie without making them taste eggy. And the lemon zest and juice adds flavor and a lightness that it definitely needs. The pinch of salt balances the sweetness and tartness of the pie and keeps it from becoming too overwhelmingly sweet.
I used this filling to make mini pies and got about 30 pies from it. 2” mini pie tins worked very well for personal pies. They’re small enough that they can be finished easily so all four pie flavors can be tried easily without being overwhelming.
- 2 cans sweetened condensed milk
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Optional: yellow food color for a yellow pie
1. Combine all your ingredients in a bowl and mix well
2. Pour into a prepared pie crust and bake. If using mini pies, bake at 400° for 10 minutes. Then turn heat down to 325° and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
3. Cool pie in fridge for several hours before serving. Top with whipped cream for an extra lush treat.