This creamy sun dried tomato pasta recipe is so good that apparently if you make it for someone they’ll want to marry you! I’m definitely not sure how accurate that is but it certainly is delicious.
Our family consists of adults, a child, a toddler, and a baby-so we have a little of everything! Except a teenager….for now. But because of this it can be very difficult to find recipes that everyone loves with so many picky and particular eaters. But this one was loved by all! If you’re struggling to find a dish that even the pickiest eater would enjoy-this would be it.
Start by bringing a large pot of water to boil. Once that happens, salt the water generously and add noodles. Cook them according to the package. While your noodles are busy bubbling away, start the pasta sauce with a simple base of oil or butter.
I actually made this with spatchcocked roast chicken so I used the chicken drippings and rendered fat as my base. You can find the chicken recipe here.
Then add chopped onions and garlic and sauté for about five minutes. I prefer my onions tender but not falling apart because I like to bite into them when eating this pasta.
Then add the same amount of flour to fat ratio and cook for an additional minute, stirring frequently. Once the raw flavor has been cooked off from the flour, add water or stock and mix, making sure to scrape off any flour remains from the bottom of the pan to prevent burning.
Now add sun dried tomatoes. I use about half a jar. You can cut it up to make smaller pieces if you prefer but I just used them straight from the jar.
Next, add in your heavy cream. You can add more or else depending on how creamy you want your sauce. I used about 1/4 cup and it was just right!
Now your sauce is ready if your pasta! Add cooked pasta and about a cup of saved pasta water to help emulsify the sauce. Mix gently and let this cook together until your pasta has reached your desired tenderness and your sauce is as thick as you like.
Mix thoroughly and it’s ready! I add my roasted spatchcock chicken back on top of my pasta to serve and sprinkle parsley for color and a splash of brightness. Yum!
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp flour (1/4 cup)
- 1 cup water or stock
- 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 16 oz pasta of choice, cooked
- 1 cup reserved pasta water
- Parsley for garnish
- Protein of choice. I used this roasted spatchcock chicken
1. Bring a pot of water to a boil and add pasta and salt
2. While the pasta is cooking, melt butter in another pan on medium heat
3. Add onions and garlic and sauté for five minutes
4. Sprinkle over flour and cook an additional minute. Then add water or stock to deglaze the bottom of pan.
5. Add sun dried tomatoes, heavy cream, and salt
6. Add in cooked pasta and reserved pasta water
7. Mix and cook for a minute until the pasta sauce thickens and the flavor gets absorbed by the pasta
8. Top with protein of your choice, a sprinkling of parsley, and enjoy!