A comforting dish that combines creamy broccoli soup and a chicken casserole for a creamy and delicious dish that’s loved by all!
Flu season has hit the states and people are falling sick all around (including me)! When this happens, there’s nothing better than a comforting homemade meal, and this is the perfect one!
There are three components to this dish: chicken, creamy broccoli soup, and crescent rolls. To make things easier you can precook your chicken or even use store bought rotisserie chicken. I cooked my chicken in a little bit of butter with salt, pepper, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and dried parsley flakes (my go to seasoning mix). Cool your chicken and then shred and set aside.
Next step is making a creamy broccoli soup. I like to use the same pan I cooked my chicken in (without washing) to get use all the chicken bits and drippings and include as much flavor as possible. Melt a little more butter and add a diced onion and minced garlic. Sauté for five minutes before adding flour to thicken and the same seasonings used in the chicken.
Now for the soup part: add milk while stirring rigorously to prevent lumps from forming. Then add a bag of frozen broccoli (or freshly chopped) and simmer gently until the broccoli is completely tender. I add splashes of water as needed to prevent it from thickening too much.
While the soup is cooking prepare your crescent rolls up. Simple add a spoon of chopped or shredded chicken to crescent rolls and roll into croissants. If you have any chicken left, add it to the broccoli soup.
Pour the creamy broccoli soup into a baking dish and top with chicken crescent rolls ups. Then bake in a preheated oven at 350° for 20 minutes or until the tops of the crescent rolls are golden brown.
Serve warm and enjoy!
- 1 lb chicken breast cooked in seasoning and chopped or shredded
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp (1/4 cup) flour
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups chopped broccoli (fresh or frozen)
- 1 8 oz can pillsbury crescent rolls
1. Cook chicken with the same seasonings listed in a bit of butter and then shred or chop
2. To the same pan on medium heat add more butter along with onion and garlic. Sauté for five minutes
3. Add flour and seasonings and mix well. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until the rawness of the flour is cooked off
4. Pour in milk while mixing vigorously to prevent lumps. Add broccoli and simmer gently until cooked through (add water if needed)*
5. Place shredded chicken in crescent rolls and roll up
6. Pour broccoli soup into a baking pan and top with chicken rolls. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until browned
7. Serve warm and enjoy!
* Add shredded cheddar at the end of this step for a broccoli cheddar soup!