A decadent dessert that combines brownies and tiramisu and looks and tastes like you spent hours and hours in the kitchen but is actually very simple!
Chocolate brownie tiramisu consists of three layers: a brownie layer, an espresso dipped cookie layer, and a cream layer. Each layer on its own is very easy to put together.
For the brownie layer, I usually use a cake box mix but a brownie mix would be even easier! I use cake box mix for tres leches cakes so I usually have those on hand. If using a brownie box mix, simple follow the directions on the box. To use a cake box to make brownie, combine the mix with 2 eggs and 3/4 cup oil-that’s it! Be sure to use oil and not butter…it won’t work (don’t ask me how I know 🥲).
Lay parchment paper in the bottom of an 8×8 baking pan. This step is important! You will layer your entire tiramisu brownie in here so it will be much easier to take out if you have something to grab and pull out when you’re ready. Transfer the brownie batter to the pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Then let this layer cool in the pan. You can make this ahead of time and keep it for when you’re ready to make the rest.
When you’re ready to assemble, make a strong shot of espresso-you’re going to need the energy. Just kidding! The espresso is for the espresso-dipped-cookie layer. Mix a shot of espresso with 1/2 cup of milk in a bowl or plate. Dip lady fingers into the espresso and lay them on the brownie-enough to cover.
Now for the cream layer! Mix a container of room temperature mascarpone-just to make it easier to combine layer. in another bowl add 1 cup of heavy cream and beat/whisk until it reaches the soft peak stage then add 1/2 cup powdered sugar (use less if you want it less sweet) and 1 tbsp vanilla extract. Continue whisking until it reaches the firm peak stage. Now add in the mascarpone and gently combine-don’t over mix or the heavy cream will get grainy and separate!
Now plop the cream layer over the espresso cookies layer gently spread until it’s even and flat. Refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.
When you’re ready to serve, use the parchment paper to remove the brownie tiramisu and cut to desired sizes. Then use a mesh strainer to dust cocoa powder over the top and enjoy!
This dessert is excellent as a make ahead option for parties. It needs time to set in the fridge so it can be made a few days before it’s needed. Alternatively, parts of it can be made ahead of time, such as the brownie, while the rest is made closer to the day it’s served.
- Chocolate brownie made in an 8×8 pan according to package
- 12 lady finger cookies
- 1 shot espresso
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 8 oz. Mascarpone, room temperature
- Cocoa powder for dusting
1. Bake brownie according to package, in an 8×8 pan lined with parchment paper. Cool in pan and set aside until ready for next step
2. Combine espresso with milk. Dip lady fingers for 5 seconds on each side, then place on top of brownie until covered
3. Pour heavy cream in a bowl and whisk until soft peaks form. Add powdered sugar and vanilla. Mix until stiff peaks form
4. Give mascarpone a gentle mix, then gently combine with the heavy cream
5. Spread cream layer on top of lady fingers evenly. Refrigerate a few hours of overnight
6. When ready to serve, remove from pan using parchment paper and cut to desired size. Dust with cocoa powder and enjoy!