A simple cake with hint of lemon, topped with juicy blueberries and finished with a crunchy crumble. This cake is so easy to put together and absolutely delicious!
I always have frozen blueberries on hand so that’s the berry I use but this can be made with a mixture of berries or any other-such as strawberries, raspberries, or black berries! You can also use fresh berries instead of frozen but I always find frozen to be more accessible.
The first step is making the cake batter. This cake batter would be delicious even on its own! The texture is similar to a pound cake and works very well with the berry topping.
Start by adding three eggs to a bowl along with a cup of sugar. Mix well until it turns frothy. Then add a cup of milk, half a cup of oil, a tablespoon of vanilla, and a tablespoon of lemon zest. Combine everything then set aside.
Now I’m a separate bowl prepare your dry ingredients. Simply combine 2 cups of flour, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1 and 1/2 tsp of baking powder. Whisk very very well to incorporate the baking powder and salt all throughout the flour and avoid any lumps!
Now combine the wet ingredients to the dry and gently mix until there are so dry flour pockets left. Spray an 8×8 cake pan with non stick cooking spray and pour the batter in-I like to use a square one, but circle is also fine.
Top the cake batter with a cup of frozen blueberries. You can definitely use more if you want a thicker layer of berries.
Now to make the crumble, melt 1/4 cup of butter and to that add 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 cup of sugar. Mix well by hand until it reaches a crumbly texture. Sprinkle the crumble evenly all over the top of the blueberries.
The cake is ready to bake! Pop into an oven at 340° and bake for about 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Let the cake cool in the pan for about ten minutes before flipping it over, then let it cook on a rack for another ten minutes before cutting into it. I like to cut it halfway, then each half halfway again. Then turn and do the same along the other side too to make equal squares.
This cake comes out so dang good! The edges and top is crispy from the crumble, the berries and ooey gooey and the cake itself is moist and lightly lemony. It’s a perfect combination for a sweet treat!
For one 8×8 cake
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- Zest of one lemon-about 1 tbsp
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup of frozen blueberries (or more)
For the Crumble
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
1. Preheat oven to 340°. Spray a 8×8 cake pan with nonstick baking spray and set aside
2. In a large bowl, mix together eggs and sugar. Then add milk, oil, vanilla, and lemon zest
3. In a separate bowl combine flour, salt, and baking powder. Whisk well, then combine with the wet ingredients
4. Pour cake batter into pan then top with frozen blueberries.
5. Combine melted butter, flour, and sugar to make crumble and spread over the top of the blueberries
6. Bake in preheated for about 50 minutes in the oven or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean
7. Cool on a rack and enjoy!