A soft, spiced cake full of rich molasses flavor with a crunchy crumble on top that feels like the holidays in a bite!
The main flavors in this cake is ginger, cinnamon, allspice, and molasses. The spicy ginger goes wonderfully with the rich, decadent molasses flavor-they’re a match made in cake heaven!
I use date syrup which is very similar to molasses and is actually called “date molasses.” It is a little healthier and more nutritious than regular molasses-but of course you can use what you have.
To make this delicious cake, start by mixing together the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, and a pinch of salt. Whisk well to remove any lumps, then set aside.
In a separate bowl add all the wet ingredients: melted butter, oil, brown sugar, an egg, and vanilla extract. Whisk well to combine.
Then in a measuring cup, combine 1/2 cup molasses or date syrup with 1/2 cup hot water. Whisk well until combined. This will make the molasses combine more easily with the rest of the batter. Add the molasses mixture to the wet batter and whisk.
Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and mix gently until just combined. Now spread butter on an 8×8 baking pan and pour in the batter.
To make the crumble, combine melted butter, flour, and sugar. Sprinkle small pieces over the top of the batter by breaking it up with your fingers. This will create a nice crunchy top and give some texture to the cake.
Bake at 350° for about 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Remove cake from oven and let cool before removing from cake pan. Then slice and enjoy with a cup of tea or milk 🙂
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tbsp ginger
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup molasses or date syrup
- 1/2 cup hot water
For the Crumble
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Spread butter on a 8×8 baking pan and set aside
2. In a bowl combine flour, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Whisk well
3. In a separate bowl, combine melted butter, oil, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla extract. Whisk well
4. In a measuring cup, combine 1/2 cup molasses and 1/2 cup hot water. Mix and pour into the wet ingredients
5. Pour dry ingredients into wet and mix gently until just combined
6. Pour batter into prepared baking pan and set aside
7. In a shallow plate or bowl combine ingredients for crumble and massage together by hand until it reaches a crumbly texture
8. Sprinkle over the cake
9. Bake in a preheated oven for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean
10. Cool cake before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
2 responses to “Gingerbread Molasses Crumble Cake”
This was sooo good! Moist. Easy. Quick. So hearty and warm for the winter!
Thank you for leaving a review! I’m so glad you enjoyed it 🙂