Fatteh is a simple middle eastern salad side dish that made with a few components including crispy pita, warm chickpeas, a yogurt sauce, and toasted pine nuts. It’s simple and quick to put together but looks beautiful and tastes delicious!
To make this dish start by cutting pita bread into small bite size pieces. The size really depends on you but I like them smaller so they’re easier to eat. Then heat up a neutral oil in a pot on medium high heat and add the pita. Stir occasionally to prevent burning and cook evenly until they’re golden brown and crispy.
While the pitas are crisp-a-fying, prepare the rest of your ingredients. First, drain and rinse a can of garbanzo beans and warm it up, either in a pot of boiling water to make it really soft and tender or in the microwave if you’re short on time.
Next, put together the yogurt sauce. In a bowl combine plain yogurt, minced garlic, tahini, freshly squeezed lemon juice, and salt to taste. If it’s too thick add a little cool water. Mix well and set aside.
Finally prepare the toppings! In a pot, toast some pine nuts in olive oil or butter until perfectly golden brown. And chop some fresh parsley to garnish. That’s it!
Combine all the ingredients in a serving platter to serve. First lay down the fried pitas. Then top with warm garbanzo beans. Then spread over the yogurt, and finally garnish with toasted pine nuts and chopped parsley. Enjoy!
5 minutes prep time
5 minutes cook time
- Oil for frying
- 2 pita pocket breads, cut bite size
- 2-3 tbsp pine nuts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 can chickpeas
- Freshly chopped parsley to garnish
For the yogurt sauce
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp tahini (or more to taste
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- Juice from half a lemon
- Salt to taste
1. Heat oil in a pot over medium high heat. Add in cut pita bread and fry till golden brown stirring occasionally
2. Combine yogurt sauce ingredients and set aside
3. Remove pita bread from the pot and in 2 tbsp of olive oil, add pine nuts. Fry for just a minute or until golden brown. Remove from heat
4. Warm up garbanzo beans in a pot of water or in the microwave. Set aside
5. To assemble, lay down pita pieces on the bottom of the serving platter. Pour over yogurt sauce. Then top with pine nuts and oil and garnish with fresh chopped parsley. Enjoy!