Tuna steaks are possibly the quickest protein to prepare, which makes for an excellent quick weeknight dinner. Paired with a bright and spicy soy sauce, it can be delicious too.
Spicy Soy Sauce
Start by preparing the sauce—the tuna cooks so quickly that it is best to have the sauce ready beforehand. Combine chopped cilantro, garlic, ginger, sliced jalapeños, soy sauce, salt, sugar, and black pepper in a bowl and mix well. Set aside while the tuna is prepared.
To prepare the tuna, simply pat dry and season all sides generously with salt and black pepper. It is best to use a good quality tuna steak, since it will be quick seared, the inside texture will be very similar to sashimi.
Heat a heavy bottom skillet on high heat and add a little neutral oil. Once the oil is hot and shimmering, place in the tuna steaks. Cook for 30 seconds, then flip and cook and immediately pour over the sauce. Cook for an additional 30 seconds and remove the steaks from the pan.
Continue to cook the sauce in the pan for another 30-60 seconds or until slightly thickened. let the tuna rest for five minutes before slicing—the inside should still be pink and the outside should be beautiful seared. Spoon the spicy soy sauce over the sliced tuna and it’s ready to devour!
I love the serve this spicy seared tuna with rice to soak up all the wonderful flavors. Another favorite side is tomato egg, providing a saucy and flavorful accompaniment to the tuna and rice. A fresh salad would also be wonderful if you prefer a lighter meal.
I hope you give this recipe a try, and enjoy!
Time: 10 minutes
- 4 good quality tuna steaks
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp minced or grated ginger
- 1 jalapeño, sliced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- Salt and black pepper to taste
1. Combine all the sauce ingredients and set aside
2. Pat tuna dry and season with salt and black pepper
3. Heat a heavy bottom skillet on high heat and place in the tuna. Sear for 30 seconds then flip and add in the prepared sauce
4. Remove tuna from the pan after an additional 30 seconds. Allow the sauce to thicken in the pan. Remove from heat
5. Let tuna rest for five minutes, then slice. Pour over the sauce and serve. Enjoy!