Tomato egg, made with simple and easy to find ingredients, is my go to dish to make when I was a quick and easy side dish to fluffy soft jasmine rice. Usually served with a simple protein (like seared tuna); it can be enjoyed as a main side with rice or a veggie side to another protein.
My favorite tomatoes to use are Roma tomatoes, because they’re juicy, have a firm texture, and cook wonderfully. That being said, pretty much any tomato can be used here. Simple chop into bite size pieces and set aside
To prepare the Tomato Egg, start by heating a heavy bottom skillet on medium high heat. Add a handful of chopped green onions. Then toss in the chopped tomatoes. Season well with salt, sugar, and a little ketchup. Give everything a good mix, then cover and let it cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes, mixing halfway through.
After ten minutes the tomatoes should break down and the entire thing should take on a jammy/saucy texture.
Not it’s time for the eggs! Crack a half dozen eggs into a bowl whisk well. Pour the eggs over the tomato mixture. Let it sit for 2-3 minutes, then gently mix together. Cover for another 2-3 minutes or until the eggs are just about set (or fully cooked if that is your preference). Lightly set eggs will give the dish a saucier texture.
Serve the tomato eggs over rice and enjoy!
Time: 10-15 minutes
- 2 tbsp grape seed or any neutral oil
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 3-4 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 6 eggs, beaten
1. Heat a heavy bottom skillet on medium high heat. Add oil and green onions. Cook for 30 seconds, then add tomatoes
2. Season tomatoes with salt, sugar, and ketchup. Mix well, then lower heat to medium, cover and cook for 10 minutes, mixing once halfway through
3. Once the tomatoes reach a jammy texture, pour over beaten eggs. After two minutes, gently mix together. Cover and cook until just set, mixing as needed
4. Serve over fluffy cooked jasmine rice and enjoy!