Cauliflower and fish curry is a slightly spicy and delicious curry that is simple and easy to make. It’s lighter than a typical curry and made with only a handful of ingredients.
I learned how to make cauliflower and fish curry from my Bengali mother. She taught me to concentrate more on the flavors of the ingredients and less on adding lots of spices and extra ingredients. This method makes some of the most delicious curries I’ve ever had!
Any white fish will work in cauliflower and fish curry. I like to use food quality tilapia fillets that are on the thicker side. Other fish options are cod, catfish, halibut, or any white fish. A thicker white fish would work better to match the size of the cauliflower florets.
To relate the fish simply clean and cut into 2 inch chunks and set aside.
To prepare the cauliflower, try to cut each floret to an even, equal size—the same size as the fish. You can even use bagged cauliflower florets like I did, just pick out the pieces and cut them to size as needed, leaving the smaller pieces out so they don’t melt into the curry.
To make this cauliflower and fish curry, add a sliced onion to a pot on medium heat with a neutral oil like grape seed. Salt it generously, then sauté on low heat and cover. Cook stirring occasionally until golden brown. Add in a couple of chilis—either wriri wriri or Thai chili peppers. Now it’s ready for spices!
The only spices needed are turmeric and red chili powder. Going gentle on the spices help the ingredients to shine rather than be smothered. Add turmeric and red chili powder, mix, then let it cook for a couple of minutes or until the spices are toasted.
Add the cauliflower florets and enough water to cover. Bring to a simmer on high heat, then turn down to low, cover, and cook until the cauliflower is about halfway cooked through. If you stick a knife in it, there should be a little resistance.
Now it’s time to add in the prepared dish. Mix in gently, bring to a simmer, cover, and simmer gently until the fish and cauliflower and both cooked through. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro, and it’s ready to eat.
Serve the cauliflower and fish curry with some fluffy white rice and enjoy!
Time: 1 hour
- 1/4 cup grape seed or any neutral oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- Salt to taste
- 2 wriri wriri peppers or Thai chilis
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 10 oz cauliflower florets
- 4 cups water or enough to cover cauliflower
- 5 thick tilapia fillets, cut into two inch pieces
- Cilantro to garnish
1. Heat oil in a pot on medium heat, add onions and salt and sauté until golden brown
2. Add peppers, turmeric, and red chili powder. Toast the spices for a couple of minutes, then add cauliflower and enough water to cover
3. Once it comes to a simmer, cover and simmer gently until he cauliflower is halfway cooked
4. Add in fish, mix, bring to a simmer, cover, and simmer until cooked through. Garnish with cilantro and it’s ready to enjoy!