There may be a million fried rice recipes out there, and each are unique to the person making it! This is my go to chicken fried rice recipe when I want a quick and filling dinner that I know my kids will love.
Chicken fried rice only takes fifteen minutes to make, as long as you have cooked rice! This is best made using cold, day old rice because that helps the individual rice grain keep their shape and texture as you mix and not turn into mush. I cooked two cups of jasmine rice earlier in the day and kept it in the fridge until I was ready to make the fried rice.
Fried rice can be made with any protein your heart desires! I had chicken tender pieces that I quickly cut into bite size pieces and seasoned with salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. You can replace the chicken with thinly sliced beef, shrimp, tofu, or whatever other protein you can think of.
My favorite vegetables to use are the ones I have on hand.
Okay just kidding, the best combo in my opinion is frozen green peas and chopped baby corn.
I don’t know why but everyone loves baby corn! Kids, adults, everyone! They’re absolutely delicious in fried rice. I chop them up to make them easier and quicker to eat, but leaving them whole is fine too. You can buy canned baby corn from any Asian grocery market. Simply drain and chop and they’re ready to use.
Other vegetable options include carrot, green beans, corn, broccoli, broccoli, water chestnuts, cauliflower, peppers, and whatever else you can think of.
The best sauce combo for my chicken fried rice is 1:1 ratio of soy sauce and oyster sauce and finished off with sesame oil. You can add hot sauce like sambal, sriracha , or even just crushed red pepper for some heat. I keep it simple to make it easier for the kids to eat and enjoy.
Start by heating a wok on high heat. Add a neutral oil like grape seed oil and once it starts to shimmer that indicates it’s hot and ready.
Drop in the chicken and don’t touch or move it around for a couple of minutes to let it develop a golden sear. Then mix to flip the meat around and add the peas and chopped baby corn.
After another couple of minutes add in the cooked rice. Pour over the sauces—1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup oyster sauce, and 1 tablespoon sesame oil.
Mix the pot well and once the sauce is uniformly mixed and toasted into the rice, about 4-5 minutes later, turn off the heat.
Your chicken fried rice is now ready to serve!
Time: 15 minutes
- 2 tbsp neutral oil
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut to bite size pieces
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 cups uncooked jasmine rice, cooked beforehand
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 can baby corn, chopped
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
1. Marinate chicken pieces in salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Set aside
2. Heat a wok on high heat and add grape seed oil. Once it starts to shimmer, add the chicken and let it sit without touching for 2 minutes
3. Flip chicken, then add green peas and baby corn. Mix and cook for 2 minutes
4. Add cooked rice and sauces. Mix again and cook for five minutes. Be careful not to let the pot sit for too long to prevent burning
5. Once the sauce is well combined and the toasted into the rice, the chicken fried rice is ready to enjoy!