Cheese stuffed, spicy, creamy, fried Chili Relleno is a delicious vegetarian dish. It’s made with only three simple ingredients and takes 15 minutes to put together-perfect for a flavorful weeknight dinner!
Chile Relleno is made with poblano peppers that are cheap and easy to find in most supermarkets. You can roast them on the stove over an open flame or on the top rack of an oven on broiler setting. once the skin is completely charred on all sides, remove from heat and place in a seals bag or covered bowl. This will steam the skin and make it easy to remove.
After a few minutes, once the peppers have cooled down, you can easily remove the skin by peeling it off. Stuff it with the cheese of your choice, such as queso fresco, Montgomery jacks or even simply mozzarella.
Then separate egg whites from egg yolks and whisk the whites until fluffy and firm. Add back in egg yolks and mix together until incorporated. Dip the cheese stuffed roasted Chile into the egg batter and fry on medium high heat until golden, flipping once to cook both sides.
Serve alongside red rice, any proteins of your choice, beans, salsa, guacamole, or whatever else you’d like!
- 4 poblano peppers
- Cheese of choice-Monterey jack, Colby jack, mozzarella, queso fresco, etc.
- 2 eggs, whites and yolk separated
- Oil to fry
- Pinch of salt
1. Place poblano peppers on a tray under the broiler and broil until skin turns blisters. Turn and broil each side.
2. Remove from heat and wrap in foil to steam the peppers.
3. In the meantime separate your egg whites and yolk and beat the whites until stiff peaks form. Then mix in a pinch of salt and egg yolks
4. Remove foil from peppers and peel off skin. If you’d like it to be less spicy, remove the seeds from inside the pepper. Then create a slit on the pepper and stuff with cheese
5. Heat oil in a pan on medium heat. Then dip the peppers in the fluffy beaten egg and fry for 1-2 minutes on each side
6. Remove from oil and let it drain. Serve with red rice, salsa, salsa verde, any toppings of choice such as onions, cilantro, and enjoy!