Red rice is a very flavorful rice that goes perfectly with Chile Relleno and carne asada and so much more. It’s very simple to make if you follow these steps!
Start by toasting your washed and drained rice in a pan with some butter. Toasting the rice gives it deeper flavor-and the butter doesn’t hurt either 😉
Add more flavor with tomato sauce, cilantro, and stock. I use halal chicken stock cubes with water but you can use vegetable stock to keep it vegetarian. Then mix gently and bring to a boil.
Once it boils, turn the heat all the way down to as low as it goes, cover, and set a timer for 20 minutes. The rice will essentially steam and soak up all the liquid and delicious flavors.
After 20 minutes, turn off the heat and uncover. Fluff your rice gently. The grains should be expanded and hold their shape but still be nice and soft and fluffy.
Enjoy your red rice with whatever you like!
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 4 cups stock of choice
1. Melt butter in a skillet on medium heat
2. Add washed and drained rice. Mix with butter to toast the rice
3. Add cilantro, tomato sauce, and stock. Give it a good mix to make sure nothing is stuck on the bottom
4. Turn the heat to high and bring to a boil. Once it boils turn heat down to low, cover, and cook for 20 minutes. Don’t open the lid!
5. After 20 minutes, gently fluff the rice. serve warm, and enjoy!
2 responses to “Simple Red Rice”
[…] the marinade permeates the meat, prepare the red rice. I already have a recipe for it here which was shared when I made Chile relleno. But to summarize, melt butter in a pan, add chicken […]
[…] alongside red rice, any proteins of your choice, beans, salsa, guacamole, or whatever else you’d […]